Iceland: The Land of Fire & Ice


Oh, Iceland! My first spontaneous travel adventure kicked off in March of last year. I found a flight deal for Copenhagen with a 3-day layover in Iceland. My only regret during that trip was not spending more time in this magical place. It was so calming and serene. I told myself I'd visit again soon and I'm keeping my promise... just booked a trip to Ireland & Iceland for May 2019! 


We just barely missed heavy snowfall (apparently the most they had in decades) but there was still a ton of snow remaining on the sides of roads and outside of the city. It was beautiful. Sure, winter is very cold in Iceland but the scenery was out of this world. Plus, winter is when you can see the northern lights!

The flight in from Seattle had us arriving at 6:00am, meaning we flew through dark skies on our way into Iceland. We were treated to the aurora borealis before we even landed! Each night we also managed to find the lights. There wasn't heavy visibility but it was still amazing to witness. 


Besides seeing the lights, the highlight of our short stay was driving the Golden Circle route. I came across this helpful blog post that detailed the route and stops. It took us about 7 hours to drive the route including stoppage time. With all the sights and sounds, the driving time didn't even seem long. If you drive this route, be sure to pack a swimsuit for the hot springs and pools! 

Secret Lagoon 

We opted to skip the Blue Lagoon as there weren't many tickets left (yes, you must purchase admission in advance) and the few that were left were around $75 USD per person. The Secret Lagoon on the other hand was about $25. It's not as blue or fancy, but the changing and shower area were very clean and there was a small cafe. We also purchased some beers to drink while in the hot springs. Maybe one day I'll visit the Blue Lagoon, but for now I'm pretty happy with my Icelandic hot springs experience. 

Below are a few other pictures from along the Golden Circle. The Ring Road on the other hand is the ultimate road trip, taking you around the entire country. I don't think I'll be able to commit to that on my next trip as it's not long either, but it's definitely on my bucket list. 

Kerid Crater Lake

Strokkur Geyser
If you're even considering a trip to Iceland, don't hesitate! I'll be posting some additional posts soon for what you should pack, top tips for saving money in Iceland, etc. 

Comments